The Waratahs lost to the the Blues 21-13 on Friday in a frustrating game.
It's starting to look like a trend. The Waratahs look great one week and then drop the ball continuously the next week. Losses to the Sharks, Force and now the Blues over the past six weeks are highlighting the Tahs lack of consistency.
Rob Horne crossed the line twice, both for tries that were disallowed but apart from these moments the Tahs looked unlikely to threaten the Blues at Eden Park. The Aussie's lone try to Potgeiter was more a testament to his hard work than a strong attack.
Tries to Lolagi Visinia and Francis Saili were enough for the Blues who's forward pack laid a great platform around the breakdown. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that the majority of the Tah's play was solid throughout the game, but in key moments they threw away chances to create pressure.
As usual we look at five key things from the game:
1. Jacques Potgeiter: The only Waratah getting a positive mention in this post, he was everywhere and deserved better than what his teammates provided.
2. Jerome Kaino: Put in a massive performance for the Blues. The best player on the park in my opinion.
3. Nick Phipps: Has been average the last few weeks, the fact that the Tahs don't have a truly capable backup has hamstrung the team in tight games this year. If I was Cheika I would be looking to Mckibbon or someone in club rugby for a run.
4. Discipline: I think the Blues got the better of the ref, but regardless the Tahs continue to give away stupid penalties. That's fine if you convert your chances, but they aren't.
5. Eden Park: Like I mentioned during the week, the crowd was great in Auckland. They got behind their boys early and truly showed off their reputation as a rugby fortress. It would be incredible if that ever happened in Sydney.
What did you think of the game? Let us know